1971e, 2008c. Legend: e-estimate, c-census, o-other, ..
* Unofficial, calculated population.
• North Korea's Cities, universtiat, Wien (North Korea don't have official statistical website)
• Britannica book of the year : world data (1997)
• The Columbia gazetteer of the world (1998)
• UN.org: Annual Population of Urban Agglomerations with 300,000 Inhabitants or More in 2014, by Country, 1950-2030 ret. 2018-02-13
 City density map, generated by population.city using data provided to us by 1km.net website. Every circle is city with population over 5000. Link
Population density map generated by instructions from daysleeperrr on reddig. Link1
Used data source is the Gridded Population of the World (GPW), v3 online at the the Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC) at Columbia University. Link2
Additional urban land cover: Extracted from Global Land Cover Characteristics Data Base Version 2.0 and Binary MOD12Q1 data on shadedrelief.com. Link3